The magazine publisher CurtCo Media is making a pivot to podcasting with the launch of a podcast studio and plans to launch six original shows. Best known for targeting affluent readers with titles such as Robb Report, CurtCo will leverage its contacts in the world of business, politics and the luxury market as it moves into audio. That includes the hiring of musicians to compose and perform show themes and musical transitions for its podcasts.
“We are truly passionate and energized by this fast growing and exciting medium,” said Bill Curtis, Chief Curator and CEO of CurtCo Media. “CurtCo’s platform is poised to grow to dozens of original podcasts, all bearing CurtCo’s signature mark of inspiration and quality.” CurtCo was purchased in 2014 by billionaire Dan Gilbert, owner of the Cleveland Cavaliers. Curtis remained a minority owner in the company.
As it moves into podcasting, CurtCo says it will work with a “very select group” of advertisers that match the tone of the shows it is creating. “These products and services will be chosen carefully and be presented in highly entertaining host driven discussions,” the company said in an announcement.
Production has begun on six podcasts at CurtCo’s new Malibu studios, covering a range of topics including politics, medicine, Hollywood filmmakers, luxury cars, wines as well as engaging scripted narratives and comedies. The current lineup includes:
- Politics: Meet Me in the Middle which features co-hosts Bill Curtis and Pulitzer Prize–winning historian Ed Larson in conversation with high-profile politicians, business leaders, educators and opinion leaders.
- Cars That Matter is hosted by long time Robb Report “car guy” and well-known car connoisseur, Robert Ross. Guests range from head designers and executives from iconic brands to a series of the top rare car collectors.
- Medicine, We’re Still Practicing is hosted by Dr. Steven Taback and offers what is described as a “solid dose of medical realism” as it features in-depth discussions with leading medical authorities.
- Hollywood Unscripted is a podcast presented by The Malibu Film Society and it will feature a series of intimate conversations with A-list actors, writers, directors, and producers.
- The Malibu Effect features the owners of The Malibu Times celebrating the unique culture, celebrities, authors, personalities, stories and perspectives that come from the seaside destination.
- When Last I Left is an improvisational storytelling comedy podcast that will feature comedy and improv actors with the conversation guided or sometimes derailed by a series of submitted audience suggestions.
“We’ve surrounded ourselves with remarkable editors, producers, writers, social media powerhouses, nationally renowned leaders in their fields, as well as wonderfully talented actors and we are focused on this new golden age of radio,” said Curtis. “The human, story-telling element of podcasting gives us the power to engage with our audiences more intimately than traditional publishing ever could.”